1. Style

Michelle Obama's H&M Style

By October 1, 2008

Michelle Obama wasn't about to let Sarah Palin stay in the fashion spotlight forever. Much like the famous The View dress, Ms. Obama's latest not-so-designer duds are causing a frenzy. Pictured here, she donned a very wallet-friendly H&M dress on the campaign trail in Detroit. (H&M, when will you offer online shopping already?!) On the flip side, Cindy McCain's astronomically-priced convention ensemble was used by critiques to argue that the McCains are out of touch with the average citizen.

Aside from the fact that it's nice to see outfits on TV that you can actually afford, do you care how little (or much) the candidates or their wives are spending on clothes? Do you think it reveals how they (or their spouses) really relate to the average American? In the current financial crisis, do you think it's wise for candidates or their families to display copious amounts of wealth?

Sound off by posting a comment below!

(Photo credit: Getty Images News, Bill Pugliano)

Comments

October 2, 2008 at 12:17 pm
(1) Karen says:

I do sorta care. I mean, when I hear this, I think it’s awesome, and it does make me feel like Mrs. Obama relates to my life better than someone who is spending thousands on a suit.

October 2, 2008 at 2:18 pm
(2) Le Ana says:

Yes , I care because who,s being realistic. Also when I heard that Palin buys nordstrom,s on sale, because she’s likes to buy on a budget; ya right , we all know that is not what people on a budget buy.

October 23, 2008 at 11:18 am
(3) eridanis says:

first, i’m a democrat and voted for obama/biden yesterday. i’m middle class, college educated, under-employed.

i expect politicians to wear expensive clothes. they’re running for power and power takes money.

to a point; you can’t play to a middle-class base, impugn others as ‘elitist’ and dress the way palin has, without being a hypocrite.

yes, she needed more decent threads than she had as governor of alaska. but not that much, not by a long shot.

the thing is, she seems to be dressing to cindy mccain’s style, which is impossible if you’re not a millionaire.

at $1000 a day to dress her, for the rest of the campaign, that still would have been much less than 150 K.
grant her 3 months of wardrobe, repeating nothing – 90K. overly generous, to make the point:

$150k ? not so cool.

e~

October 23, 2008 at 12:16 pm
(4) budgetstyle says:

It does seem excessive to me – especially when you think about the fact that campaign donors may not have anticipated their contributions going towards such purchases. If the Republicans lose, will they wish they’d bought more TV airtime instead?

October 23, 2008 at 2:46 pm
(5) Bev says:

I did read it was not Sarah Palin who requested these clothes, but the campaign who sought to upgrade her image. Sadly, it is Sarah who takes the heat, they should just let her be herself. At least the clothes will go to a good cause, charity, not hanging in her closet.

October 25, 2008 at 6:49 pm
(6) Ben says:

@bev even if it wasn’t her idea, she could (should) have said “thanks but no thanks” just like she did with the bridge to nowh… oh wait, never mind.

November 6, 2008 at 5:59 pm
(7) Taylor says:

Yes, I feel it matters when you are trying to reach the hardworking middle-class citizens. John McCain is very wealthy and I commend him for his fortune; however he never comes across flashy and I’m positive he spends good money for clothing and shoes.

For Palin…it was a big deal, the RNC suggested that she purchase six suits – Palin decided to act like a kid in a candy store and decided to buy luggage, clothing and trinkets for her kids. The reason the shopping spree fell on our ears is because there was a leak in the RNC about top advisors complaining about the rcpts that came in from her shopping spree.

Why are so many people fooled by Palin’s facade?

January 22, 2009 at 6:03 pm
(8) anon says:

In normal times I wouldn’t care what the candidates wear, but given that so many families are faced with financial problems these days, I think it’s nice when politicians show a little sensitivity by being frugal.

March 10, 2009 at 10:32 pm
(9) SD says:

The clothes have not yet been donated to charity. The RNC won’t say what has happened to the clothes. And Palin’s neice recently sold a pair of her red Naughty Monkey shoes on eBay for more than $1,000.