Everyone loves Target! Great finds, numerous choices and more designer-created items that you won't find anywhere else ...and pay less? What's not to love? The idea of trendy merchandise at affordable prices modeled by Target has launched a new era in discount retailing. Typical Target stores are easy to shop, attractive and are always clean. This prototype has changed how consumers think about discount shopping & it has definitely changed my mind.
But how does one really shop at Target? Is there truly a method to shopping this premiere discount chain? Not to mention, how do you avoid the risk of looking like everyone else who shops at Target? There have been many theories surrounding how to shop Target; some theories even teeter on the edge of urban legend!
So how does one separate fact from fiction? Below you will find some easy tips on how to shop smart at Target and how to incorporate pieces into your wardrobe that compliment your personal style.
Target's Urban Legends
- • Target does not have a mysterious markdown system! Like most retailers, store planning is done regionally. With that said, not all locations will carry the exact same merchandise and some items are not marked down at the same time across the board. The biggest factor affecting the infamous "markdown" is salability - is the item selling, is it sold out, etc.?
- • There is not a daily markdown schedule. You will not find a designated markdown day for different classes of merchandise; it's done across the board. The difference is, some "price change teams" work at a different pace. So if the markdown is not complete by Monday, it may get done on Tuesday. It just depends on the store you shop in and the staff that works that location. Items can be marked down any day! The biggest tall tale is that price changes are done at noon. Prices are typically changed late at night or when registers are updated. Most doors have an early morning process for price change teams, or they use overnight teams for larger volume doors.
- • There are no secret deals! Most clearance items have an orange sticker. However, seasonal items may not have an orange clearance sticker since it is easier to reduce the entire section at one time, most likely by percentage off. You can always use the price scanners throughout the store to check prices. Other clearance items that don't have an orange sticker may have just been a result of human error; someone missed the markdown! These orange clearance sticker prices usually end in "4" or "8".
How to Shop at Target Without Looking Like You‘re On a Budget
- • Do not dress in a featured GO International designer label head-to-toe! When shopping the collection, pick out special pieces and learn how to incorporate them into your existing wardrobe. Don't waste your money on the basic pieces of the line that you can easily find somewhere else, and possibly cheaper. By mixing and matching the selected collection items into your own wardrobe, you stand a good chance of putting your personal stamp on the outfit.
- • Travel to different Target locations to check out the assortment. Typically the assortment is slightly different by region & district, meaning the offering in a small town Target store will be different than in a metropolitan area. However, small town stores that don't have a strong fashion outpouring may have that special piece at a greatly reduced price simply because it is not selling as fast and they need to get rid of it.
- • Not all merchandise is created equal. Go for select accessories that will enhance your wardrobe, not detract from it. For example, the shoe selection is not that hot at Target, but you can't go wrong with statement jewelry & handbags!
Learn How to Shop Smart
- • Shop the endcaps! These are areas located at the end of the aisle, along main drive aisles within the store. This area is always marked by promotional price. You can find some really good deals along these areas.
- • Hit the clearance racks! As far as clothing goes, the racks are typically marked down by a percentage off. However, each apparel item will have an orange sticker that will make it easy for the customer to determine the current price. The first hit starts at 30% off and will eventually get marked down as low as 75% off.
- • Find coupons! Be sure to look on the Target website for printable coupons. This is one of the best ways to find out the weekly deals & steals from Target! Don't forget to sign up for Target's weekly promotions as well. They can be delivered directly to your email inbox. This will help keep you on top of all the latest & greatest sales!
- • Don't just shop to spend money! Why buy things at Target that you can find somewhere else and possibly for cheaper? Use Target to find great, trend-right apparel, shoes & accessories! Save buying the basics at other discounter stores.
So by all means, use these tips and make the most of your shopping experience! You are bound to enjoy shopping at Target as much as I do! The bottom line is, Target stands by their brand promise - “Expect More. Pay Less. ®